By protecting and improving our environment, the communities where we do business and the students we serve, Sodexo makes every day a better day and every tomorrow a better tomorrow.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I use my dining card? 

You must bring your MAVcard with you to all meals. You may not enter the Dining Hall without it. Your card may only be used by yourself. Cards being used by someone other than yourself will be confiscated and reported to the CMU Housing for disciplinary action.

What do I do if I lose my MAVcard? 

In order to enter the Dining Hall, students who have lost a card must report to the MAVcard Office and purchase a replacement card. For more information about replacement cards, please contact the MAVcard Office at 970-248-1059. If the card is lost and the MAVcard Office is closed, you must present a picture ID to the Dining Hall Manager.

How can I find out what is being served in the Dining Hall today?

Menus are posted daily in the Dining Hall and weekly on the website.

Can I have friends who do not live on campus eat with me in the Dining Hall?

Visiting friends are welcome to join you for a meal. You may either use your MAVmoney, credit or cash to pay for them. 

Meal prices are as follows: 

  • Breakfast $7.10
  • Brunch $8.35
  • Lunch $8.35
  • Dinner $9.60

What can I take out of the Dining Hall? 

Take out is limited to a single ice cream cone, a brownie, a cookie, or one piece of fruit in the Dining Hall. Please be considerate of this rule, as your costs rise when food is taken out of the dining hall.

If you want to take part of the To Go program you need to follow the following steps:

  1. Let cashier know that you would like to have a To-Go
  2. Give MAVcard to cashier to swipe
  3. Get a To-Go container and a 24oz. cup located by the cashier
  4. Grab whatever you feel like eating; just make sure you can close the box
  5. Single snack item allowed for carry our (ie. cookie or apple)
  6. Keep in mind, you are only allowed one To-Go trip per meal period 

What do I do if I am hungry, and the Dining Hall is closed?

If you are unable to attend an all-you-care-to-eat meal due to a class or other college business conflict, please stop by our Dining Hall cashier stand and speak with one of our managers to obtain information about the Resident Dining To-Go program.  You may also take part in the Meal Transfer program that allows you to eat in Bookcliff Cafe at multiple locations for the price of a Meal Plan Swipe for more details click HERE. You may also use your MAVmoney in the Bookcliff Café, Sandella's, Jazzman's Cafe and the Scramble at Western Colorado Community College. For information on Hours of Operation, please click Dining Choices.

What if my schedule conflicts with the times I wish to eat?

We have a Resident Dining To-Go program that allows students to take a meal to-go. Just follow these simple steps!

  1. Let cashier know that you would like to have a To-Go
  2. Give MAVcard to cashier to swipe
  3. Get a To-Go container and a 24oz. cup located by the cashier
  4. Grab whatever you feel like eating; just make sure you can close the box
  5. Single snack item allowed for carry our (ie. cookie or apple)
  6. Keep in mind, you are only allowed one To-Go trip per meal period

What do I do with my dishes at the end of the meal?

We thank you for placing them on our revolving dish rack near the entrance of the dining hall. We will handle all the dishes from there.

What if a group wants to have a meeting with refreshments?

There are several meeting rooms available for special occasions and meetings which can be reserved through the CMU Conference Coordinator, Claudia Kellar at 970-248-1414. The Sodexo Catering/Conference Services can provide excellent quality catering for your event. Flavours by Sodexo can be contacted by phone 970-248-1027 or through email

What if I am ill and can not come down to the Dining Hall for meals?

We have a simple form for you to fill out that is located in your residence hall. Send one in with a friend or an R.A. and you are good to go.

How are special dietary needs dealt with?

We understand your special dietary needs and will work with you to meet most of those needs. Information on your special dietary needs must be provided by your physician. Please arrange any special needs with our Executive Chef, Daniel Widhammer, at (970) 248-1976. Also make sure that you check out the Simple Servings station in the Dining Hall, this platform offers food that is free of:

milk, eggs, wheat, soy, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts and gluten

I'm on a traditional meal plan. Can I use my meal plan for my friend?

If you have Meal Plan A or B (both plans give you unlimited access during specified time period), your meal plan is intended for your use only. If you give your MAVcard to someone else to use, it will be confiscated and reported to the CMU Housing for disciplinary action. All other Meal Plans which are declining meal plans such as MP 20, 40, 80 and Faculty/Staff Meal Plan can be used for your friend.

Can I take my parents to eat in the Dining Hall when they are on campus visiting?

Absolutely! Any time your parents are on campus visiting, just bring them into the Dining Hall with you, and as long as you are on a meal plan, their meal is on us. Who says there is no such thing as a free lunch?

Can I change my meal plan at any time?

Yes. Some restrictions and charges may apply. Please contact the Housing Office at 970-248-1536 for details.

Where can I eat and when?

You can eat at any of the following locations.
  • Bookcliff Café in the University Center (Meal Transfer, MAVmoney, Cash, and Credit Card)
  • Sandella's in Houston Hall (MAVmoney, Cash, and Credit Card)
  • Dining Hall in the University Center (MAVmoney, Cash, Credit Card, and any Meal Plan)
  • Jazzman’s Café in the Academic Classroom Building and the University Center (MAVmoney, Cash, and Credit Card)
  • The Scramble in Building B inside of Chez Lena Restaurant at Western Colorado Community College (MAVmoney, Cash, and Credit Card)     

Click Dining Choices to see the locations and the hours of operation.

When do meal plans start and end?

Meal Plan A and B start on "move-in" day and end the last day of final exams for the semester. We will update the information on this website, Dining News. All other meal plans can be used all year long, Dining Hall during fall and spring semesters and Bookcliff Café during summer and winter.

What will my meal plan cover?

Your meal plan gives you access to the Dining Hall. Each meal plan comes with MAVmoney which can be spent in any of our retail locations as well as in the Dining Hall. Click Dining Plans to find out more.

I don’t live in the campus residence halls. Can I still purchase a meal plan?

Certainly. Dining Plans are designed with all students in mind. Sign up today, and start saving! To lean more click Dining Plans.

What are the benefits to having a meal plan?

It’s a long list: value, convenience, cashless, quality, freshness, taste… and don’t forget fun! Eating on campus makes it easy to keep up your energy level, so you have more time to spend with your friends. Best of all, you don’t have to wash the dishes!

Do I have to buy a meal plan?

Students living in the residence halls are required to purchase either Meal Plan A (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) or B (Lunch and Dinner). Any Colorado Mesa University students and Faculty/Staff members can purchase a meal plan if they wish to do so. For the details of each plan, please click on the Dining Plans.

Which meal plan is right for me?

We offer a variety of meal plans in order to best serve students. To figure out the right plan for you, start by thinking about your eating habits. Are you a “grazer” who grabs a bagel in the morning and a salad for dinner? Or do you need three square meals a day to function properly? We have options perfect for either type of eater, and for everyone in between. For the details of each plan, please click on the Dining Plans.

What is MAVmoney, how do I buy it, and where can I use it?

MAVmoney is like having a prepaid debit card solely dedicated to your on-campus meal expenses. You can purchase MAVmoney from the MAVcard Office. There is no fee or limit of the amount you can purchase. You can purchase MAVmoney with cash, credit card, or check. You can use MAVmoney at any campus dining locations. Please click on Locations & Menus on the top left to see the campus dining locations and hours of operation. Remember MAVmoney is tax-exempt so you can save 7.65% on all your purchases.

Can I add more money to my MAVmoney account?

Yes. You may add more money to your account any time during the semester. Remember your MAVmoney is tax exempt so you can save 7.65% on all purchases. Please contact the MAVcard Office at (970) 248-1059.

Does MAVmoney expire?

The MAVmoney that comes with either Meal Plan A or B expires on June 30 every year. All other MAVmoney doesn’t expire unless your account is inactive for a length of time. Please check with the MAVcard Office at (970) 248-1059.

I want to improve my diet. What do you suggest?

Eating on campus can be healthy, convenient and delicious. Visit our Health page to access features like “Meet the Dietician,” Body Mass Index and Nutrition calculators, the pros and cons of taking supplements, and much more.
In This Section
Important Info

Selection of a Campus Dining Services meal plan entitles you to a meal card, which allows you purchasing power equivalent to the plan you have selected.  


If you have any questions about meal plan assignments, please contact the MAVcard office:


Lost or Stolen Meal Cards

Lost or stolen meal cards can be replaced. Should this happen to you, please contact the MAVcard office:


Dietary Needs

Do you have particular dietary needs? Please let us know. Our campus dining services program can accommodate your special dietary requirements. For more information, please contact, or call 970-248-1976.

Dining Policies

One of our main goals is to provide a pleasant, clean, comfortable and satisfying dining experience. In order to meet this goal, we ask for your assistance with the following procedures:

  • Please bus your dishes and disposables from your table when you have finished dining
  • Please refrain from taking food, dishes or utensils from the dining area.
  • Remember that meal cards are non-transferable. Meal cards cannot be used by anyone but the purchaser.
Colorado Mesa University | Dining Services | 1455 N. 12th Street Grand Junction, CO 81501 | tel. (970) 248-1742 | Contact Us